Web 2.0

This blog is an exploration of web 2.0 technologies, and how they can be used in a library setting.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Podcasting

Podcasting holds so many possibilities, and their convenience is great. You can download a podcast and listen to it at any time. Itunes alone carries over 100,000 podcasts, so there is sure to be one to interest everyone.

Last fall I took an introductory course in information technology. This was the first and only time that I have created a podcast, so I was a bit unsure how to go about creating one and posting it on my blog. I found eHow to be very helpful in providing step-by-step instructions on how to create and post a podcast. Eclass also has a podcasting service called ecast, which is what I used to create my podcast. I found the podcast creation process to be a bit frustrating. I used audacity to record my voice for the podcast. I really like it because it is really easy to use and is free open source software. The only problem is that you have to download a file that changes the audio file into a mp3. My computer would not unzip the lamelib file so that I could transfer my audio file into an mp3. I used Eclass' ecast program once I was able to create an mp3 file. I was very surprised at how easy it was to use this program. I often find Eclass to have a lot of little problems, but their ecast program worked very well and was easy to use. Aside from learning how to unzip the file to create an mp3, I found the process to actually be quite easy which took me by surprise. I was also surprised to learn that videos can be podcast, not just audio. I always associated podcasting with audio files, not with videos. Ecast gave me the option of uploading a audio or video file, prior to this I didn't know that video podcasting was possible.




If the podcast does not show up, please go to: https://ecast.srv.ualberta.ca/Podcasts/aeisen/xml/ed482d117cdae1426b04865c8ad75e30.xml

In order to explore the user side of podcasting, I signed up for a podcast. Itunes makes this so easy. I just had to subscribe to the podcast of my choice and each new time that there was a podcast I would download it. I chose to follow a music podcast, that featured new music daily. Now that I know how easy it is to follow a podcast on the user side of things, I will be following more podcasts.

Eclass suggests some ways that podcasts can be used in a learning environment. Podcasts can be used to discuss information that could not be covered in class, or highlight important information from a lecture. Students can use podcasting technology to share their views on a lecture, or submit projects.

In libraries or schools podcasts can be used to record audio or video of special guests or events, so that people who missed it can still listen.

If a school or library does decide to start podcasting there are some important considerations to keep in mind. Eclass has created a top ten for podcasting practices to help students and staff create quality podcasts.
#1. Be clear. Keep the listener in mind, and cater the podcast to the needs of the listener.
#2. Be prepared. Have a script or outline prepared to keep your podcast focused.
#3. Less is more. Begin with audio podcasting since it is easier, and quicker. Keep podcasts to the length of a commute (~ 10-20 min.).
#4. Get up close and personal. Speak to your listener, keep the tone conversational and be enthusiastic.
#5. Find your sweet spot. Find a quiet comfortable spot to record your podcast to minimize background noise.
#6. Practice, practice, practice. Practicing before recording a podcast helps to minimize problems when you are recording.
#7. Get technical. Use good quality equipment for high quality podcasts.
#8. Review and edit. Edit out problems then review your edit to make sure it is working properly.
#9. Learn from others. Listen to other podcasts to find ideas you like.
#10. Have fun.

What is the difference between video podcasting and video sharing? This is a question that is bugging me. Both video sharing and video podcasting allow the creator to upload the video to the web then have users to subscribe to channels to receive the latest updates. Based upon what I have learned about video sharing and podcasting, it seems that the difference is that video podcasting uses RSS feeds to supply the video to the user, instead of through a video sharing website.

An interesting way to connect to your students through podcasting is through itunes u. Librarians and educators can post podcasts to itunes u that are accessible via any computer all over the world. Students can download podcasts and listen to them at any time. The site has over 175, 000 educational videos, from schools and universities. Creators can choose whether they want their material to be accessible to all people or password protected so that just their students can access the material.

It is a good idea to have several access points to materials. Video sharing a video, and podcasting it give students to different ways to access a material. If they do not have time to view a video, then they can download the podcast and view it when they have time. This gives students multiple ways to access a video (Michel, Jason Paul). Besides relaying curriculum content, libraries can also use podcasting to provide guided tours of the library and its services (Bell, David; Lenihan, Debbie; Burholt, Steve).

Getting kids to record books, plays, stories is a great way for them to get interested in the material and share it with other people (In the classroom: kid podcasts of Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!). They can also use podcasting technology to recommend or critique books (Just one more book). The great thing about podcasts is that all of this can be done via audio or video, depending on whether you have the necessary technology.

Vodcasting, iTunes U, and Faculty Collaboration. Michel, Jason Paul; Hurst, Susan; Revelle, Andrew. Electronic Journal of Academic & Special Librarianship, Spring2009, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p6-6, 1p

The evolution of a podcast: printed guided tour to audio tour and beyond. Bell, David; Lenihan, Debbie; Burholt, Steve. ALISS Quarterly, Jan2009, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p14-17, 4p

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the ecast program, I never realized eclass had that capability! The university ought to promote eclass and it's related technologies better.

    I also struggle with the whole pod/video cast versus streaming issue. Since YouTube has subscription capabilities, does that make it a video cast resource? Are screencasts podcasts or video casts? Are blogs that post audio really podcasts? It is something to think about anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know either. I was logging on to eclass one day and it was a link on the side. It was actually really easy to use too.

    The podcast vs streaming confuses me still. Like I said, the only difference that I can really see is taht one is an RSS feed. I don't know if that is a big enough difference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same issues you ladies did on what makes a vodcast different from videosharing. Thanks for addressing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The videosharing vs. podcast vs. vodcast issue is often an issue of semantics, I think. Many people use the terms interchangeably. You can also add vlog to the mix--a video blog (e.g. John and Hank Green's videos). I try to stick to one term and use it consistently.

    Ecast was pretty well promoted a year or so ago when they first introduced the service. Now it is just a link on the eclass login page. Thanks for sharing your experience with ecast, Ashley. I'm glad it worked so well.

    ReplyDelete