Web 2.0

This blog is an exploration of web 2.0 technologies, and how they can be used in a library setting.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Photosharing on the web.

There are many photosharing outlets on the web. Perhaps the best known is flickr. Will Richardson devotes an entire chapter of his book : Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms to flickr. Flickr hosts more than 3.6 billion photos on their site, and has recently allowed members to post short videos. The interesting thing about Flickr is that it allows your viewers to be interactive with you and your photos. They can add tags and notes to the photos (About Flickr).

Flickr is great because the volume of photos available means that there will always be a photo that fits your needs, however, there are restictions on how these photos can be used. That is why a site like creative commons is so useful. Creative commons allows users to dictate how their photos, writings, videos, music etc. will be licensed. This allows the users to control how their work will be used by others (About Creative Commons). Many flickr members have chosen to display their photos under a creative commons licensing agreement to remain in control of their photos and allow others to use them for creative purposes. Creative commons gives more freedom and flexibility to the users, while allowing the owners to maintain the licensing of their work. Because of this freedom, creative commons is a great asset to libraries. Users must still be aware of the licensing agreements, however, the images, videos, music etc. can be used legally within copyright rules.

I have used the creative commons website many times to find images to use in the library I worked in. The business library at the University of Alberta has a television monitor that displays images, statistics and useful information for users of the library. I was often asked to find images to display relating to certain holidays such as halloween or St. Patricks Day. The best place to go for images was creative commons since we could use these images without repercussions. While creative commons does not have the same volume of images that flickr does, I found that their selection of images was sufficient for what I needed it for in the library.

Academic libraries can use photosharing websites as a way of collecting photos for use, as well as posting photos for others to view, but public and school libraries could run into some trouble with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) if they posted photos of minors without consent. FOIP's goal is to protect the personal information of individuals. Personal information is information about a identifiable individual. If a public or school library is going to be involved in photosharing it is important that they are aware of FOIP regulations before engaging in these activities.

Besides using photos just to photoshare, there are many other uses for photos in schools. A really good idea is for kids to find a picture, or take one of their own, then use it as a writing prompt (Mister Teacher). This site provides good suggestions for sites for children to visit to find photos. My favourite is kidsclick. The site provides lists of websites that would be useful for finding pictures of art, space, animals and history. All of the links are to professional and well-respected institutions, so children are accessing some of the best possible photos for the topic.

While professionally I have used creative commons very often, for photosharing my personal photos I use facebook or photobucket. I used photobucket before flickr was big, as a way to ensure that I did not lose my photos when I switched to my new computer. I rarely use photobucket anymore, instead I post almost all of my pictures onto facebook. There are many drawbacks to doing this, mainly once the photos are posted they become the property of facebook and facebook has the right to use these photos however they want. This is a major concern for me, but facebook is the easiest way for me to share pictures with my friends. Many of my friends are on facebook, so it is the quickest way for me to share my photos with them. Though the fact that facebook owns my photos once I post them really bothers me, their privacy settings are a major bonus. I like that I can filter out who can view my photos.

While right now facebook is the easiest way for me to maintain and share my photos, flickr seems like a very good way to maintain my photos. They have so many great features, such as allowing users to tag photos so that other users can find photos easier. I also really like that flickr allows its users to post photos under a licensing agreement with creative commons.

6 comments:

  1. I echo your concerns about FOIP. Libraries should think critically about what they post to the web, as members of the general public may object to having their photo shown online, for a variety of reasons, safety being paramount. Sorting out FOIP takes a lot of effort and knowledge, but certainly is not something libraries should avoid or bypass when considering using photosharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the link to Mister Teacher. Some great ideas for technology integration in the classroom.
    As for flickr, while it does sound fabulous for presentations, I'm a little nervous about posting personal pics for the world to see and use. This seems ridiculous to me now, as I have also been posting pictures of my family on Facebook for quite some time now. What I have recently realized is that Facebook offers a false sense of security. People who I have not identified as "my friends" are able to view my pictures if they are linked to someone else I have invited as a friend.
    I laughed when I read the comment on about flickr with regards to making photo albums being a thing of the past. Call me old fashioned, but I just can't stop the scrapbooking and album making. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I have concerns about FOIP (both in a school and in a library context). When I was the Summer Programmer at the Stony Plain Library, I created permission slips that I sent home with the kids regarding taking their photographs. I wanted to be able to use pictures in displays in the library and I also wanted to be prepared in case I was able to use some photos in the local paper. I think that many people simply overlook the fact that FOIP exists and thus, creating an awareness about it is absolutely essential. Learning more about FOIP before using any photosharing website in the classroom or in the library would be extremely beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently took an archives course, and in it we spent an entire day on legalities. One of the main topics we discussed was FOIP. I was reading your post on photosharing and one of the questions I had after reading it was whether you got permission for posting the photos you took on your Harry Potter day. I would assume it would be almost all children at that event. I guess you answered my question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley--FOIP and the implications of FOIP on some of these online tools is a good question that all librarians and teachers need to consider when using any media. Thanks for talking about it.

    I wonder too how you could push this idea of using photosharing sites in libraries even further--beyond simply posting photos to share with patrons and others. What implications do these sites have for teaching patrons about visual literacy and information literacy, for example?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good question. There is definitely a lot of information that can be gathered from photos. The Provincial archives of Alberta is creating a site that helps children interpret photos from their archive to try to determine the date, location etc. I think it would be interesting if libraries did the same. There is a lot of information that can be gathered from a photograph if you know what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete