Web 2.0

This blog is an exploration of web 2.0 technologies, and how they can be used in a library setting.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

My first blog post for EDES 501!

My name is Ashley Eisen and this is my first blog post for EDES 501.

I have currently completed one year of my masters in Library and Information Studies, and have one more year until I am finished my degree. I chose to take this class because I feel it is important to have a good grasp on available technology. I am also completely unfamiliar with blogs and blogging, so this course seemed like a good way for me to familiarize myself with blogging in a structured setting, that also allows me to experience other web 2.0 technologies.

I was torn between using blogger or wordpress as my blog. In the end I chose blogger based on comparisons between the two that I found on a website called site reference. Though this website felt that wordpress was a better blog, the comparison showed me that blogger would be a good match for me because of my minimal knowledge of blogging websites, and based on what was required in this course. Blogger is much easier to set up and does not require that I download any installation files. Wordpress allows a higher level of customization, and publishes quicker than blogger, but I think that ease of use is more important to me than customization. Though wordpress does seem like a better blogging website, I do not feel that I have enough blogging knowledge to benefit from the added features of wordpress. Perhaps, after this class is done and I have a better understanding of how blogs work I can begin to use wordpress.

1 comment:

  1. Good choice! Wordpress is pretty, but Blogger is super easy to use!

    ReplyDelete